A recurring point of argument on this blog is my tendency to talk about "conservatives" and "Republicans" as if they were uniform groups. Of course they're not, as my readers often remind me. But still, there are traits that the great majority of those overlapping groups have that make it difficult for me to see the necessity of larding my stuff with weasel words like "most" or "some."
So, in order to clarify, here's a list of traits that define the particular kind of "Republicans" and "conservatives" I'm talking about when I talk about Republicans and conservatives. You're one of them if:
- You think waterboarding isn't torture.
- You think President's greatest responsibility is to protect Americans' physical safety.
- Your primary emotion is outrage.
- You repeat every bad thing any nutjob tells you.
- You believe that the reason Republicans are going to lose this election is vote fraud.
- You believe things that are obviously untrue.
- You think Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh are credible sources of information.
- You can't understand the difference between surrender and changing strategy.
- You think there are a large number of people who were born and raised in America, who live in America, who are leading fulfilling lives in America, who are engaged in legal American political processes, but who are nonetheless anti-American.
- You recite Republican attacks without knowing what those attacks actually mean.